The Friends is an organization consisting predominantly of residents of the Town of North Castle, New York, that exists to help the Library achieve its maximum usefulness and benefit to the community as its informational and cultural center. The Friends was incorporated as a New York not-for-profit corporation in 1993 as a successor to a predecessor unincorporated association. The Friends creates an awareness of the resources, educational and cultural programs and other activities made available to the North Castle community by the Library. These resources, in turn, not only benefit North Castle and Westchester County, but also residents of neighboring towns and counties. The Friends qualifies as a tax-exempt charitable organization, contributions to which are deductible to the extent provided by law.
The Friends works with the Library's Board of Trustees and the Library staff to determine how revenues raised by the Friends can most effectively benefit the Library. and its missions and programs.
The Friends' programs and activities are entirely administered by its directors, officers and other volunteers. The Friends raises funds to support its purposes by conducting the Armonk Outdoor Art Show, performances by the Armonk Players and other such programs and activities as the Board of Directors determines. Since 1938, the Friends has maintained a high visibility presence within the community, at the Library and in its theater, by providing funds for the many projects not covered by the town budget. The objective of the Friends is to furnish the "extras" that make the Library so special.
Since its inception, the Friends have given the North Castle community:
- The original Library building
- The Library wing, doubling its previous size
- Whippoorwill Hall, the community theater
- Renovation of The Children's Room, the Reading Room, the Young Adult Room and Staff Offices
Recent cultural projects sponsored and funded by the Friends include:
- The Armonk Players semi-annual productions
- Our well-attended Sunday Music Concert Series
- A very popular Italian Art series
- Teen programs including a film club, sci-fi and fantasy club and a Teen Song Writing Workshop
- A wide range of children's programs
- Health and wellness programs such as Tai Chi
- Book Clubs
- Family Programs such as Family Chess
- New technology
- Renovation of Whippoorwill Hall
- New furniture and fixtures in the Armonk branch's Teen and Magazine Rooms and lobby and the North White Plains branch's circulation area
In 2011, the Armonk Outdoor Art Show celebrates its 50th anniversary. A full week of community activities are planned starting with a "Run for the Library" on September 18th and culminating with the Armonk Outdoor Art Show on September 24th and September 25th. Many community businesses and organizations are participating. Please plan to attend!
For more than 70 years, the Friends has remained a very vibrant part of the public-private partnership of the North Castle Public Library -- an intellectual and cultural center for the community and its Westchester County neighbors.